MRI Chest With & Without Contrast
MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is an imaging modality that uses a magnetic field, the energy of radio waves, and a computer to create images of internal body organs, bones, and soft tissues. MRI of the chest is performed to visualize structures in your chest from multiple angles. These structures include; the chest wall (bones and muscles), lungs and pleura (covering sheath of the lungs), heart and pericardium (covering sheath of the heart), lymph nodes, and blood vessels, including the aorta.
MRI chest can be done with or without contrast. Contrast is a special dye usually injected through a vein in your arm to enhance the image quality.
Why and when do you need this test?
Your doctor may advise this test if you have signs and symptoms of a disease related to the organs and structures of the chest. Or some deranged results of other medical tests may point toward the pathology of the organs in the chest. For example, tumors, nodules, enlarged lymph nodes, fluid collection, abnormalities of the heart and aorta, lung diseases, esophageal disorders, spread of cancers, etc.
Do you need to prepare for the test?
- Otherwise, your doctor provides you with special instructions, you may eat or drink normally.
- Since the test uses a magnetic field, you may need to tell the doctor if you have any metal implants, pacemakers, or prostheses in your body and bring detailed information about them.
- You would be asked not to wear any jewelry or watches or not bring keys, credit cards, or ATM cards.
What can you expect?
- You will be asked to lie down on the table that will slide into the MRI machine that looks like a large tunnel
- You need to lie down still and not move to prevent the images from getting blurry.
- If you feel uneasy at closed paces, you may ask for relaxing medicine.
- Inside the machine, you will hear tapping or snapping noises.
- An MRI scan with contrast material will be injected through a vein in your arm.
- You will be alone in the room but under the constant care of a technician across the glass window who will be talking to you.
- It is a painless procedure that lasts for about 30-60 minutes but may take longer.
- You will be able to return to your daily activities normally after the test.
Are there any risks to this test?
There is a slight chance of allergic reaction to the contrast material, but it can be controlled through medicines.
Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, lactating, or have kidney disease.
What do the test results mean?
A radiologist who is an expert in interpreting MRI results will send a signed report to your doctor. Your doctor would be able to tell you if the report shows any abnormality that may be causing your symptoms. These may or may not include; structural heart defects, heart tumors, lung tumors and spread, aortic tear or aneurysm, fluid around the heart or lung, esophageal cancer, etc.
Other related tests may include:
- MRA (magnetic resonance angiography)
- HRCT chest (High-resolution computed tomography)
Frequently ordered together
CT Angiogram Thoracic Aorta and Chest
CT Chest without Contrast
CT Chest High Resolution without Contrast
CT Chest And Upper Abdomen without Contrast
X-Ray Abdomen And Chest
X-Ray Chest Apical Lordotic View
X-Ray Chest Oblique Projection
X-Ray Chest PA And Lateral
X-Ray Chest PA
CT Chest with Contrast
CT Chest with & without Contrast
CT Angiogram Chest And Coronary Vessels
MR Angiogram Chest with And without Contrast
MRI Chest With Contrast
MRI Chest With & Without Contrast
Ultrasound Chest B-Scan
X-Ray Chest 2V Front and Lat AP
X-Ray Chest 2V Front and Lat Oblique
X-Ray Chest Complete Min 4V
X-Ray Ribs incl Chest Min 3V
X-Ray Ribs incl Chest Min 4V
X-Ray BILATERAL RIBS WITH PA CHEST
X-Ray Chest 1V
X-Ray Chest 2V front and lat
X-Ray OBSTRUCTION SERIES WITH PA CHEST
Ultrasound CHEST WALL-UPPER BACK
MRI CHEST WITHOUT CONTRAST
See Physicians Online
- General and Urgent Care- all ages
Yanelquis Torres, MD
- Acute And Chronic Conditions
Fabiola Baptiste, NP
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
Raga Mohamed Ali Osman
Sipra Talvikki Autio