Basic Metabolic Panel BMP
BMP Blood test, BMP, Chemistry Panel, Chemistry Screen, Chem 7
- Glucose: which is the primary source of energy for the body, it should be available in steady supply and present in stable amounts in the blood.
- Calcium: this is one of the most important minerals for the body as it aids in the proper functioning of the nerves, muscles, and heart. It is also essential for the formation of bones and important for blood clotting.
The BMP also tests for electrolytes which are minerals present in the blood and tissues as dissolved salts. Electrolytes move nutrients into the cells and push out waste. In addition, they ensure that the body maintains a healthy water balance and stabilize the body’s pH level. The electrolyte test includes:
- Sodium: this is essential for the normal functioning of the body, particularly nerves and muscles.
- Potassium: important for cell metabolism and muscle function. It helps in transmitting messages between muscles and nerves.
- Bicarbonate: this helps in maintaining the body’s pH level.
- Chloride: this substance helps in regulating the levels of fluid in the body and maintains the acid-base balance.
- Blood urea nitrogen: Also known as BUN. This test measures the amounts of blood urea nitrogen. When the waste product is filtered out of the body by the kidneys or as kidney function decreases simultaneously do blood, urea, and nitrogen levels rise.
- Creatinine: This test measures how much of creatinine is produced in the kidneys. Creatinine is a waste product of the muscles, which is filtered out of the blood by the kidneys. Creatinine levels are a good indicator of kidney function.
Stay informed with CURA4U - Our clinical experts ensure the accuracy of our health and medical content, regularly updated with new information.
Medically reviewed and last updated: March 29, 2023
Frequently ordered together
Blood Urea Nitrogen BUN
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel CMP
Basic Metabolic Panel BMP without Calcium
Basic Metabolic Panel-Plasma
See Physicians Online
- General and Urgent Care- all ages
Yanelquis Torres, MD
- Acute And Chronic Conditions
Fabiola Baptiste, NP
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
Raga Mohamed Ali Osman
Sipra Talvikki Autio