When do you need to get tested?
Which kind of sample is required?
Do you need to prepare for the test?
What is being tested in Alkaline Phosphatase?
How is the test used?
When is the test ordered?
- Weakness, fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea, vomiting
- Abdominal swelling and/or pain
- Dark urine, light-colored stool
- Itching (pruritus) Signs and symptoms related to a bone disorder include
- Bone and/or joint pain
- Increased frequency of fractures
- Deformed bones The doctor may also order an ALP test when the patient has symptoms of a bile duct obstruction (e.g., gallstone), such as:
- Severe abdominal pain, especially at the top right side or center of the abdomen
- Pain that spreads to the back or right shoulder blade
- Nausea that occurs at the same time as abdominal pain
- Abdominal pain that is linked to eating a fatty meal (when the gallbladder contracts)
- Normally, the intense pain lasts at least 30 minutes but begins to subside within an hour. An attack of biliary colic usually lasts less than 6 hours.
What does the test result mean?
Frequently ordered together
Aspartate Aminotransferase AST
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel CMP
Gamma-glutamyl transferase GGT
Liver Function Test LFT
Alanine Aminotransferase ALT
Ultrasound Liver And Gallbladder
Hepatic Function Panel
Hepatic Function Panel without Total Proteins
See Physicians Online
- General and Urgent Care- all ages
Yanelquis Torres, MD
- Pancreaticobiliary Disease
- Abdominal Pain and Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Anorectal Diseases
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Biliary and Pancreatic Disorders
- Esophageal Disorders
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD
- Gastrointestinal Malignancies
- High Grade Dysplasia
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Crohn's Disease, and Ulcerative Colitis
- Liver Disease
- Motility Disorders
- Zenker's Diverticulum
- Interventional gastroenterology procedures like Endoscopic ultrasound, ERCP, Barrett’s treatment. liver and lymph node biopsies etc
Adnan Sohail, MD
- Acute And Chronic Conditions
Fabiola Baptiste, NP
- Cycle Irregularities
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Birth Control
- Complicated urinary tract infections
Karen Matta Toomey